Tuesday, August 08, 2006

School Daze


Today is the run-off election in Georgia-- this includes a highly contested race for the 4th Congressional district Democratic candidate. I'm not going in to the details here (better to visit James' blog).... but the important part is to remember to VOTE!

My quest to today brought me to Evansdale Elementary school-- the future educational home to Leah & Sydney. We moved to this neighborhood for this school. And to be honest, I took the word of friends, along with some web research on test scores, demographics, etc. that this was THE location to get us the best house in the best school that we could afford without moving to, oh, Tennessee.

Well, of course I didn't leave home early enough to vote AND get to work on time so I was really pressed for time. I slipped in to a parking spot by the front door, ran in and cast my vote. When I left I found that I had been parked-in by a teacher. GRRR! So I ran back in and asked the guy in the office to see if they could make an announcement.

He turned out to be the principal-- and he was so nice! He made the announcement then walked around with me to make sure that the car was moved. We talked a bit about the school and he assured me that as twins, if one gets in to the Pre-K program or magnet program, they BOTH do, automatically. Even though this is 2 years from now, it was reassuring to know that if we make it in that they will both have a spot. He also said we could come visit any time with the girls-- which is something I need to do once school is in session to get a sense of what it's like when everything is up and running.

I can hardly belive that I am even THINKING about putting them in school. We'll be starting slowly, 2 mornings a week of preschool this year, then probably four extended days the next year, and then Pre-K the year after that. I think the first day I walk them in to school I will be crying like a baby! It goes too fast.

No comments: