Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Nanny Diaries Part One

I am a lucky mommy-- I get to work part time (80 hours a month) for a fabulous employer. I've had this gig for a year and a half and so far so good. I'm challenged, I feel valued and I learn something new each day. The folks are smart and respect my time. Best of all I have at least one day a week off and my afternoons with the ladies. Although I will admit they're much happier creatures the FIRST part of the day than in the afternoon. But I'll take it.

Our biggest challenge is childcare. Since the girls were 4 months old we've had some sort of help. Well, actually, since the minute they were BORN thanks to GramE and all our other family and friends who came down.

But when they were a few months old my Grandma, the girls' Great-Grandma Frances, realized I could use some help. She gave us some seed money to hire help about 15-20 hours a week. That's when we met Camille. She was a sociology major at Clark Atlanta University. She had a good amount of experience including multiples and was a total doll. And as I learned, as a younger caregiver, she tended to default to whatever we told her to do in terms of taking care of the kids.


It was great-- I wasn't working so I would use that time to run errands, grocery shop, do someone projects, even go crazy and make baby food. Oh, and then I realized I could do fun things too like to out to lunch with friends :) It was a pretty great time actually!

But when the summer ended she had to go back to school and she no longer had any day time availability. This of course happened the same time I finally landed my first part time opportunities at a local company specializing in radio public relations as well as my friend Lucy's agency.

Let me say for the record, I don't know WHAT I would do with out my mother-- she has taken care of them more days than I can count since they were born. She's been there, with out question, every time we need someone to watch the girls. I honestly don't know what we'd do without her. Our current deal is "one day a week" -- but it always seems to turn in to more when we get in a pinch. I am so afraid of abusing what is a wonderful situation.... More on that later.

No comments: