Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's OVER!!!!

Back in February the girls saw their first ever movie in a theatre: "Curious George." It was the perfect entree to seeing movies, a short, animated family flick, based on a classic book with virtually nothing scary whatsoever. In fact, the previews were the worst part with the fast, jump-cut edits and blasting sound. We almost didn't make it past the previews but once the lights dimmed and the Jack Johnson soundtrack kicked in, they were mesmerized for the next 85 minutes.

What I didn't anticipate was the ending. As soon as the final scene faded out, I looked over at Sydney who had tears welling in her eyes. She then let out a wail "It's ooooovveeerrrr!" and began to sob uncontrollably. This went on as we left the theatre and she became boneless, as toddlers do to the point where i had to scoop her up and carry her to the car. The post-morteum over dinner was the same. If anyone asked her how the movie was, the tears came back up along with the cry of "it's over!"

I'm not sure what this stems from. Perhaps they think once something is over you can never have it again. And this reaction seems to be limited to movies. The average, 25 minute kids show does not elicit the same reaction.

Lately they've seen some commercials for the DVD re-release of "The Little Mermaid." The mere sight of her gets them worked up in to a frenzy. So I decided to whip out my 15 year old VHS tape and do a little screening. As I expected they loved all the adorable things about the movie, and were scared s**itless by Ursula the sea witch.

They were ear to ear grins when King Triton turns Aeriel back in to a human ("like me!!") and she marries Prince Eric. But as the final chorus was sung, I saw Sydney's lower lip stick out a bit and before you knew it they were both crying their eyes out! The same reaction... "it's over!"

I guess we'll let it ride. I suppose it means they really enjoy it and just hate to see it go away.

I know they loved the movie though because late last night when Scott went to kiss them goodnight I heard Leah say softly "Daddy-- I saw the Little Mermaid!" and went right back to sleep.

No comments: