Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize


The topic of "getting married" keeps coming up lately from both L&S. If I had to guess, this is stemming from watching the wedding scene from the Sound of Music one too many times, combined with wanting to look at our wedding photos which are all over the house.

As I mentioned before Leah plans on getting married in her Fairy Princess outfit.

She took it a step further last night and asked me "who walk with me to the island?" I said, "you mean walk you down the aisle?" She said "Yeah, yeah, that." I said, 'Well, Mommy and Daddy will walk you down the aisle." This seemed to make her really happy. Then she started grilling me on WHO she was going to marry. "Who going to be the daddy?" she repeatedly asked. I tried to explain that even I didn't know who that would be, but some day she'd find out who is the "person" she wants to marry. See, I'm also stuck trying not to reinforce gender stereotypes, so who am I to assume it's a man? Or if she'll marry at all?

Then Sydney piped in, "When I be a mommy?" I swear, this kid floors me.

I said "When you're grown up, and married." Again, I know she has the right to be a single, unwed mother, but why encourage it?

Sydney nodded and agreement and said "Right, that's the prize."

"What?" I asked in amazement

"That's the prize when I get married!"

Thing is, it's true! I told her then that I must be very lucky to have gotten them as a prize.

Sydney said "Yes, you very lucky-- you got TWO girls!"

No comments: